Thursday, December 24, 2009

Be Not Afraid...

Happy Christmas Eve my dear friends...

Although, I have to admit, I've been less in the Christmas spirit this year than ever before. I'm not quite sure why - but am thinking it has had something to do with the overwhelming busyness of my life lately. It's just hard to comprehend that it is yet another Christmas season, and yet another year coming to an end.

Today I woke up early to go to work (which wasn't too bad...just like another day), then had the privilege of attending two different church services for the special occasion. The first one was at my home church, a lovely time of moving from "Merry Christmas" to "Oh Holy Night", from being overjoyed by the arrival of a baby to worshipping my King. The music, the word and the family was, as usual - incredible. Later on in the evening I attended my grandmother's church with a few other family members for their traditional service. I was a bit skeptical about this - but ended up being moved like I haven't in ages. The pastor explored a little about that opening line of the Angels to the shepherds..."Do not be afraid...". God wants to speak to us, to be with us, and we shouldn't be fearful of that - because it's GREAT news that He offers. It was definitely a time of contemplation for me (and I'm sure you'll see future blogs reflecting that as we enter into a new year...hopefully one where I practice daily my hope in "FEAR NOT").

But perhaps the part that touched me the most was a verse from a carol we sang...

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting Light;
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

It made me realize that because of tonight, because of an all-powerful and all-loving God arriving in the precious form of a little baby...

darkness has no power...
Light shines on our world forever...
my hopes throughout the years are held in Him alone...
and my fears are stilled...

because of a tiny baby.

You know what I call that? Peace.

*and speaking of babies, any moment now another precious gift will be entering our world :). My friend Maggie went into labor about 6:30 tonight, and soon...baby girl Natalie will be gracing us with her presence. Two very amazing gifts if you ask me...*

0 comments: