Thursday, December 3, 2009

"You wanna hear something funny?"

Ah...so here it is, my funny story for the day.

This morning I didn't have to be at work until 9, so I decided to venture over to Starbucks to get a most comforting grande vanilla chai latter, no water :). I order my drink, and the barista taking my order (a younger guy, probably about my age) asks for my name. I tell him "Leanna" (duh.) Apparently he thought I said "Leia", so he starts spelling it out loud, I guess wanting me to correct him if it was wrong...which it most obviously was. Naturally, I interrupt and give him the correct spelling - with a smile of course - I'm not a grouch :). He starts cracking up, and here's the tidbit of conversation that followed:

Barista Man: OH! I'm so sorry, I thought you said LEIA, like the princess! (he smiles at me)

Leanna: Oh no, definitely not a princess...

Barista Man: No gold bikini laying around at home? (and then...he winks...)

Leanna: Not at all (and I walk away).

Now, here's why I walked away from Starbucks trying not to laugh hysterically...it became so obvious to me just how much men differ from women. Just consider that word..."princess", and each gender conjures up different images, thoughts and notions.

Women will generally go the route of a fairytale maiden, most often in distress needing to be rescued by the rarely speaking prince charming. Or, perhaps it's negative, causing us to think of spoiled little brats whose parents refer to them as princesses to appease them.

But men, men on the other hand apparently jump right into a physical fantasy world involving intergalactic battles and a half naked chained up "princess" in need of rescuing.

Ha. No wonder we have such a hard time meeting on the same plane...

6 comments:

KC and Jonathan said...

So i take it the *wink* was more like a *wink, wink, nod, nod, hubba, hubba* kind of way....??? Cause i just pictured the *wink* as a whoops i messed up. In that case i don't picture galactic fantasies. Now if it was the OTHER kind of wink... ha! -kc

Summer Girl said...

I think the point of story is not the difference in men and women but in the fact you just put out, "I want a boyfriend!" to the Cosmic Santa, and then when you potentially get hit you walk away. I think you should have said something like, "Well my bikini is more of an emerald green to match my eyes. *Wink, Wink Right back at him* But whatever works! :P Santa says Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!

Summer Girl said...

Oh and besides what guy wouldn't want to picture you, a hot young thing in a bikini???? I mean really!

Andy said...

ya, why didnt you make a play?

LJSBACKAGAIN said...

Maybe I'm a little naive when it comes to men, but I'm thinking that a stranger that is picturing me in a gold bikini is NOT the kind of man I want to be with :).

KC and Jonathan said...

THbbbbbbt! Pi-shaw! That's a lame excuse. I'm with Ashley on this one. I don't think he was picturing you in a golden bikini, i honestly don't think he even thought THAT deeply. And you saying it's not the type of guy you'd be interested in...that's a COP OUT! My first response which i didn't post before, but now i'm posting..... you should have flirted back.